Yesterday

The firm was founded on 9th June 1872 by Mr James Straker. In September 1898 the late Mr William Chadwick ("WM") commenced his articles with Messrs Barber & Son of Wellington, Shropshire and in 1903 joined a Mr Tomkins, the firm being known as Tomkins & Chadwick of Frogmore Street, Abergavenny. In 1910 James Straker joined the partnership which, in 1912 was re-titled J. Straker, Son & Chadwick. During the Great War Charles Straker (son of James) was killed. In 1947, after World War 2 "WM" took into partnership his two sons, Reggie and Peter, the firm being known then, as now, as J. Straker, Chadwick & Sons

Today

In 1970 William Chadwick (son of Peter and grandson of "WM") joined the firm and is now Principal. In 1989 the practice was joined by Lyndon Trumper after qualifying at the Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, and later his ARICS and FAAV. The firm has continued to flourish covering a wide range of work disciplines including Agricultural Valuers and Auctioneers, Estate Agency and other property related areas. The addition of new purpose-built town centre Auction Room has greatly enhanced the diversity of the practice. Regular sales of Antique Furniture and Effects are held as well as Specialist and Collectors' Sales including Fine and Rare Wines and wine related artefacts attracting vendors and purchasers from all over the United Kingdom and, indeed, worldwide.

Tomorrow

Our aim is, and always has been, to give a highly professional service whilst maintaining a personal touch; keeping old-fashioned standards yet embracing modern methods and ideas.